Plumbboyz is registered with the PIRB and can assist you with your Plumbing Certificate of Compliance. The Certificate of Compliance is a recent requirement for the transfer of property. Please read the article below courtesy of The Cape Argus for more details. If you require a Certificate of Compliance please Email us.


A new requirement for the transfer of property, which will oblige sellers to submit a certificate from an accredited plumber as proof that water installations comply with national building regulations, has been included in the City of Cape Town’s draft water bylaw.

We offer Free Inspections and Paperwork.
Remedial work (repairs) are for the clients own account.
We will provide a quote before issue of the C.O.C.

FAQ relating to Plumbing COC:


Transfer of ownership

14.(1) The seller must, before transfer of a property, submit a certificate from an accredited plumber certifying that
(a) the water installation conforms to the national Building Regulations and this By-law;
(b) there are no defects;
(c) the water meter registers; and
(d) there is no discharge of stormwater into the sewer system.

Plumber’s Checklist

The Hot Water Cylinder installation complies with SANS 10252 and SANS 10254.
The water meter registers when a tap is open and stops completely when no water is drawn. If there is then movement on the meter, this points to a defect somewhere on the property.
None of the terminal water fittings leak and they are correctly fixed in position.
No stormwater is discharged into the sewerage system.
There is no cross connection between the potable supply and any grey water or groundwater system which may be installed.
The water pipes in the plumbing installation are properly saddled.


Clarity in terms of Regulation. Since the City’s water by-laws only refer to SANS 10252 and SANS 10254, which governs the installation of hot water cylinders and general plumbing installations, on 1 September 2006, the City’s legal department is of the opinion that we can only enforce these provisions from that date onwards. This means that any hot water cylinder installed after this date, must be provided with a drip tray, as per SANS 10252 and 10254. However, hot water installations installed prior to this date, where water is being wasted/can be wasted – e.g. an expansion drip pipe from the PRV discharging directly into a stack, where any flow from it would not be noticed, or where a Temperature and Pressure safety valve is absent, or it’s overflow is not in 20 mm copper pipe, and is not taken to a point where it can safely discharge, which would constitute a risk to occupants (either the cylinder exploding or people being scalded by hot water), must be altered to conform with our current by-law, as per clause 3(1).
A lack of a drip tray, in our opinion, in installations prior to 1 September 2006, cannot cause water wastage or readily present risk of personal injury. It is therefore not required in installations constructed prior to 1 September 2006, for the purposes of the COC described in the by-law.

2. Clarity in terms of Geyser overflows (installed within roof space versus sectional title and old high rise buildings).
2.1) Free standing houses – 3 overflows required
a) Drip tray – with a minimal of a 40mm diameter
b) Expansion relief drip – 15mm polycop
c) T&P safety valve – 20mm copper
To discharge to outside, below the eaves
2.1) Sectional title units in older high rise buildings.

Not Allowed:
Termination of expansion drip and T&P overflows directly into stacks. An air gap must be provided.

The expansion relief drip and T&P safety valve overflows to discharge over a tundish of suitable capacity, with an air gap of 50mm minimal between the ends of the overflow pipes and the upper rim of the tundish. This tundish must discharge via a water seal trap into a stack pipe.

It must also be located where excessive overflow discharges can be readily detected i.e. inside a cupboard or behind a viewing panel.

An alternative would be to discharge the overflows into a shower cubicle, approximately 50mm above the floor level, and facing away from the shower entrance. Under no circumstances must the overflows be discharged at ceiling height, which could cause scalding to a person entering the shower.

3. Clarity in terms of Ingress of Storm water to sewer.
3.1) In cases of sectional title units with ingress of storm water into sewer, the COC may be signed off and the Body Corporate or Home Owners Association must be notified of the required corrective measures.
3.2) Swimming pool backwash to discharge into the sewer.
3.3) Overflow of swimming pool to discharge into the storm water.
3.4) If the lawn or paved area cannot cope with the volume of rain water, then it should be diverted to the road.
3.5) Houses that are restricted in terms of gaining access to the road reserve, may request permission from their neighbour to allow a passage for the storm water to pass through the property.
3.6) If all fails, the City will allow you to discharge the storm water into the sewer at a levy.
4. What action should be taken if a geyser’s overflow cannot comply with the requirements?
4.1) Rectify the situation e.g. re-plumb.
4.2) Look at alternatives.
4.3) Involve District Water Inspector.

Certificate of Compliance